Monday, December 26, 2005

What does it mean to be "Kunoichi"?

The term Kunoichi is ninja slang for "female". Historically, Kunoichi were female ninja, trained in the sui (water) traditions of ninjutsu; typically skilled manipulators and seducers of men. Well, that's the shortened storybook version. To explain the full concept of the kunoichi in history would require a rather long essay, and that's not what I want to do here... No. Instead, I want to explain what it means to be kunoichi in the modern world. Or, at least, what it means to me. Let me tell you a little story... Eight years ago, I was a broken woman. Homeless, with a one year old son. We had nothing, except the clothes we wore and a few coins in my pocket that only just covered the bus fare to my mum's. I can hardly begin to explain how I ended up that way. "Abusive relationship" is the cliche which comes to mind. But that's another story... The day we left him was the tenth of February. I remember the date exactly. It took me a long time to recover, even longer for my son. I was scared of everything: of being alone, becoming a single mum, going back to work. Even of my own shadow. Gradually, things started to get better, but still I felt vulnerable. Then I met the man who was to help change everything. I can't truly say he was the love of my life, but for a while, he was my best friend. Fumitsu Shinkai, you know who you are... He introduced me to the concepts of ninjutsu, taught me how to use nunchaku, meditate and fight. In return, I taught him patience, honesty and pride. We taught each other many things, developed our skills, ideas and thoughts. Yet, like all good things which must eventually end, we slowly drifted apart. Fumitsu became a true ninja, though I don't think he realised at first. And once I began to realise my own potential: that I was my own woman; that I didn't need a man to make me complete; that I was truly strong, body and soul; that I could use knowledge to achieve what I wanted of life... Then, I realised that I could become The Urban Kunoichi... Then, my life truly began...

1 comments:

Yash said...

This is yash ........you had given a comment in www.topsecret42.blogspot.com
ive posted some of those predictions...thank-you......pls keep visiting www.topsecret42.blogspot.com