Friday, January 06, 2006

A little thought can go a long, long way...

If you've read my last post, you'll probably know how angry and upset I was last night. After dreams too distorted to remember, I was still wound up this morning. I'd planned to go straight out before my husband woke up, leave him in bed and alone so he'd have time to think about what he said to me last night. But I got up late. Plan A out the window then... "I'll do the school run," he said. "I have to meet someone at 10, so I'll get straight off afterwards." Fine by me, I thought. Keep out of my way, or I might start something. Yet ten minutes later, I heard his key in the door. "Have you forgotten something?" I called. "Yes," he answered. "You." Sometimes, my husband can be so sweet. Despite my earlier coldness, he put his arms around me and gave me a loving kiss. "Does that mean I get an apology then? You really upset me last night." He looked confused. Genuinely. I can usually tell when he's putting on an act. "What did I do?" "You called me and our baby b******s." The colour drained out of his face. "What? When?" On the phone. "But I'd never call you that." Well you did. He was trying to remember. "I was playing cards with the guys last night. I said it to them because they were cheating..." I do believe he was being truthful. I'd expected some sort of excuse, or the ploy that it was a joke. He hugged us both close. "I'm sorry you thought that, he whispered. "I didn't mean it at you, honestly." Despite his faults and his moods, I do love my husband dearly. And I always give him a second chance. So I was mistaken. I didn't think he would ever say that to me... Perhaps he'll bring some flowers for me later. Despite the myth that women are complicated, we can be simple to please, and a little thought can go a long, long way.

0 comments: