Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sorry, part five: The Angel of Night

Links to the rest of this story: Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, Part Five, Part Six, Part Seven My beautiful son was born in Early July. And though I'd hoped he would make things better between Jack and myself, the situation became increasingly worse. Until, exactly seven days after the birth, there was a knock at the door. I almost fainted with shock when I saw Sorry standing in the doorway. He'd grown taller, his hair was longer. His smile melted me. "Can I come in?" It turned out that Sorry had moved into a flat just down the road from where we were. I was so glad to see him, least of all because I'd realised by then what a huge mistake I'd made in letting him go. Most of all, I was glad that his presence meant that Jack wouldn't hurt me as much. I knew I was safe when he was there. Sorry came to visit almost daily in the following months, pretending to be there for Jack, though whenever he left the room, Sorry would ask if I was okay. He knew what was going on, even though I never told him. But one day, he saw what was going on for himself. Sorry had brought his friend, Peter, so the guys could watch the match together on our TV. Jack became possessive, not leaving my side for an instant and making snide remarks to demonstrate his possession. He took it a step too far, putting his hands up my shirt in front of the others, so I decided it best to take myself upstairs to bed. Moments later, he followed me up, accusing me of all sorts of misdemeanors I couldn't possibly have done. He tore the sheets from over me. I think he would have raped me then and there if I hadn't cried out. Seconds later, Sorry was upon him, pulling Jack away and almost kicking him down the stairs. "If you ever hurt her again, I'll kill you!" he said to Jack. He asked if I wanted to leave, but Jack whispered in my ear that he'd hunt me down if I ever tried to take his son away, and I was too scared to put it to the test. A few weeks later, we were shopping in Town when Jack suddenly started spouting off about how he knew there was something going on between Sorry and I. Of course there wasn't, jack would never allow the opportunity for me to go to the shops alone, let alone have time for an affair! Perhaps he saw it in my eyes that in my heart at least, he was right. Or perhaps he just went mad with the demons again. Jack grabbed me by the throat and tried to strangle me, right there in public, while busy shoppers looked on astonished at the sight. When I finally broke free, I ran and ran in a moment of confusion and terror which seemed to last a lifetime. The I realised in a panic worse still that I had left him alone with our son! Immedietly I went back to get him, feeling that I'd wrench him from the pram and take him with me, away from that monster, no matter what the cost to myself. But he'd already gone. I searched and searched and couldn't find him. So I went home and hoped he'd already be there. There was still no sign of them. So I did the only thing I could think of. I went to Sorry's flat and begged him for help. Sorry was my angel on that day. He held me while I wept and called up to the house any number of times but still Jack and the baby weren't home. "Jack will never hurt the baby, I promise you," he whispered. How I wish I could have believed him, though I knew he was telling the truth. Jack would use our son against me, but never would have harmed a hair on his head. While we were waiting, Sorry told me he needed a shower. Though he'd always looked great to me, when he emerged from the bathroom he looked amazing, his long hair wet around his shoulders, only a towel around his waist. "I'll always be here for you," he said to me. "If you want to leave Jack, you and the baby can come and stay here with me." It was the perfect invitation, but I was too distraught to notice it at the time. Soon afterwards, reinforcements arrived in the form of Peter, and he told us he'd seen Jack heading home with my son. I went immedietly to be with him, and in Jacks presence I was too scared to leave with my son in y arms. Sorry checked in from time to time to make sure I was okay, but it was another year before I finally plucked up the courage to leave, and by that time, his offer had expired.

0 comments: